Heartburn and Indigestion
Indigestion is a general term for pain or discomfort felt in the stomach and under the ribs.
Heartburn is when acid moves up from the stomach into the gullet (oesophagus) and causes a burning pain behind your breastbone.
Indigestion and heartburn can occur together or on their own.
It’s a common problem that affects most people at some point. In most cases it’s mild and only occurs occasionally.
Some simple self-care techniques are:
- Lose weight – being overweight can contribute to heartburn.
- Stop or cut down smoking and/or alcohol.
- Have your last meal of the day at least three hours before going to bed.
- Try raising the head of your bed by a few inches – simply raising your head by using an extra pillow won’t have the same beneficial effect.
- Make a note of any food or drink that seems to make your indigestion worse, and try to avoid them.
Visit Your Pharmacist
When to See Your GP
About the author